Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 102 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
ASARDigital.com, CrazyMazie, Saisaii, Molls, Reficul
30722 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30722 Members
78 Forums
19391 Topics
186956 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Topic Options
#35481 - 09/22/06 08:29 AM "you can install it on multiple computers"
cbussey Offline

I purchased virtual villagers a couple weeks ago. The fact I could play it without needing a cd was a selling point to me. I get tired of keeping up with cd's, and since I play a lot of games I get tired of having to hunt up the cd I want. Also I have kids who can manage to gouge the heck out of a cd just by swapping them out. I have to admit the fact it was in my price range was also a selling point. But what really sold me was the fact it said I could install it on more than one computer.

It failed to mention however that doing so was going to be a hassle. My computer died. It just happened so I don't even know what happened to it. I put it in the shop today. So I have this new computer with next to nothing on it, and I thought "hey, yeah I can download virtual villagers and be playing in minutes". Bad news, it asked me for a "key". I couldn't remember having to type any key the first time, but I thought, well it'll be in that mail I got when I bought it. So I read the mail, all it had was a thousand digit activation code, nothing about a "key". (I tried the activation code, that's not the key).

So I actually READ the 1 mail I got from them and it says I have to submit the information to them to get another LICENSE for my other computer. Duh! Unfortunately, it doesn't go to the bother of explaining HOW to send them that information.

So I ASSUME I do so through their technical support department. I've just done so. No idea if THAT IS how I'm supposed to do it. I'll find out in 24-48 HOURS I guess.

(surely people needing new keys happens more than once every so often. Getting a new key SHOULD BE AUTOMATED, ESPECIALLY SINCE YOU CHARGE FOR IT)

Also, assuming I did do it properly. I noticed it says I can only do it 3 times before they start charging me for it. That disgruntles me a bit as well. It didn't mention THAT when I bought it either.

I get new computers as often as twice a year, usually only once. Also, I have 3 computers in my house. Mine, my wife's, and my kids'. It doesn't bother to say how much renewals will cost after 3, but it's looking like I didn't buy the bargain priced game I thought I did.

I've got games cd's in my collection that I've had since the early to mid 90's. I may have paid more for them, but they came WITH a key and I can reinstall them at will on every new computer I get, for free. Unless the new "key's" after 3 are like $0.50 I'm becoming suspicious that I may have been duped.

#35482 - 09/22/06 11:09 AM Re: "you can install it on multiple computers"
TheVillageIdiot Offline
Sage

Loc: Island of Isola
cbussey, where did you buy VV originally? The "thousand digit" activation code sounds like that should be your activation code, but each reseller uses their own activation code and it will only work on the programs that they actually sale. So if you download VV from Big Fish games, but purchased it from Yahoo, the yahoo code will not work. You have to download it from what ever site you got the activation code from. But at any rate assuming you purchased from someone other then LDW, I know they will help get the issued resolved. You did not tell us where you sent in a support request from, so if you did not do it here (LDW) I would suggest you do so. Here is the link for LDW support page. But again, make sure you download it from the same site you originally purchased it from and then your code should work.

I can see that you are very disgusted, and I can understand why. I've had the same issues many a times. Some of the larger software companies have websites where users can login to and there will be an area showing all you’re past purchases and reg numbers. But there are times when I don’t have internet access so that does not always work for me either.

What I have found to be very helpful is to put all the programs I purchased and downloaded on a flash drive, as well as a txt file with the registration numbers. I then burn the files to a CD as a backup (I've had several flash drive "crash" on me, so I don't find them a reliable backup source.) I also have a CD case just for install programs, and that is where I store them. That way I don't have to worry about them getting scratched up or abused and when I do a new install, I’ll grab the case. That way I know I have everything.

#35483 - 09/22/06 12:36 PM Re: "you can install it on multiple computers"
LadyCFII Administrator Offline
Unicorn

Loc: Colorado
It's also important to note that every game site has their own terms and conditions, in addition to their unique registration code structure. Those terms and conditions are not set by the game developers, and apply to all games sold at that site.

In contrast, when you buy any of our Windows games directly from us, your activation information is provided in the confirmation email and can be used immediately should you need to reinstall the game. In addition, Carla provided the following information:

Quote:

Officially when you purchase a license for Fish Tycoon, it is for use on one computer. If you purchase the game from us, however (as opposed to some of the various resellers who use a variety of different protection software), the game will allow you to use the same registration code on more than one computer in the same household, and we really would not have a problem with that anyway. Please be careful not to share your registration code outside of your household, however, because if it starts spreading publicly we will have to deactivate the code and it will no longer work in the future!

#35484 - 09/23/06 03:50 AM Re: "you can install it on multiple computers"
cbussey Offline

I appreciate all the helpful advice. I put "bigfish" on the tech support questionnaire that I DID send in to LDW. Unfortunately it didn't occur to me that it would matter where I bought the game and I'm not sure where I bought it. I did a search on the internet and apparently there is quite a variety of places from which I may have originally downloaded it.

I'm hoping the clue is in my confirmation/activation letter I received. That came from Trymedia Systems, Inc. a site I have no memory of ever visiting, but there it is. I have sent in a support request to them. According to their website I'm supposed to be able to do it manually. But according to their website when I run villagers it is supposed to take me to a screen that says "buy now, or already paid?". I'm supposed to click on already paid and it is supposed to bring up a screen that lets me enter my activation code. Unfortunately that is not what happens. I don't get a "buy now/already paid" screen, I get a "buy now/UNLOCK" page, and when I click on "unlock" it asks me for a "key". I tried the activation code in the "key" box, but it doesn't work.

I'd like to thank Carla for sending me an email in response to my support request. I appreciate her trying to help but since I'd enterred "big fish" instead of "tri media" it wouldn't work. Anyway, hopefully I've sent in the request to the proper company now.

I apoligize for the belligerance in my original post. I'd had a few beers (no excuse) and was taking things a little too seriously.

#35485 - 10/01/06 07:14 PM Re: "you can install it on multiple computers"
Rainbowfish Offline
Consigliere

Loc: Central Valley, CA
Ouch. Sounds like you had a lot of trouble...

Without repeating advice, I can only say that when I purchased Fish Tycoon, the charge came from Trymedia. I believe I downloaded it from MSN Games. Shockwave.com would show up as shockwave.com on a bill, and yahoo would show up as yahoogames. Big Fish games would show up as big fish games, not Trymedia.

Moderator:  MissKathy, Rockmower 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter