Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 225 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Legally playing Palm OS/Pocket PC games + H.M VV5?
by lorsieab2
09/09/24 06:33 AM
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
DazedAlchemist, SablesauntieTJ, Bindy, calemari, ASARDigital.com
30726 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30726 Members
78 Forums
19393 Topics
186960 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#204018 - 07/18/09 06:31 AM Re: mod help [Re: littlewindbird]
Lewanda Offline
Legend

Loc: Ky
Here's how I do it littlewindbird; I duplicate one of the maps I'm going to use / then make the canvas twice as wide as the one image. *Most image manipulators give you the option to align the image to the left or to the right, up or down when you enlarge the canvas. / Then I select all / float the image / reverse the selection / make another layer and paste my next image map in it. *Doing it this way keeps the images lined up perfectly. / After that I duplicate both the upper images / Double the height of my canvas (*This time use the option for your images to end up at the top of the canvas.) / Then I flip both the duplicated top images. Select one and copy my next map and paste it over top of the flipped image. Do the same with the other flipped image. *Doing it this way your images can't be misaligned unless you accidentially scoot them. I try never to click on an image on my canvas to select it, but instead to select it in the layers palette. That way you avoid accidently moving one of them.

I hope this helps rather than confusing you Sweetie. Big hugs!

Edited by Lewanda (07/18/09 06:32 AM)
Edit Reason: Added something

#204051 - 07/18/09 04:26 PM Re: mod help [Re: Lewanda]
littlewindbird Offline
Consigliere

Loc: kansas
just so i understand, when you open a new canvas, and it gives you the pixel size, instead of the 512 width, you type in 1024 for the pixel width? then do you align them left? Then the same for the height with the pixels? sorry to be such a pain about this. I got so frustrated that it wouldnt line up for me last nite that i just put the original images back into the game and erased all i had modified frown

#204074 - 07/18/09 08:05 PM Re: mod help [Re: littlewindbird]
Lewanda Offline
Legend

Yes Sweetie, you make the width 1024 and align it according to the image you start with. If it's the right side image align it to the right. It's really simple..Wish I could sit down with you to show you.

#204097 - 07/18/09 10:49 PM Re: mod help [Re: Lewanda]
littlewindbird Offline
Consigliere

Loc: kansas
ok, i think i have it. You open up a canvas at 1024x512 and put the image there. Then you make another one 512x1024 and put the image in that one. then you open one with the rite 512x512 size and put an image there. Then you combine them all and flatten or merge the layers together. Im using Gimp if that helps in any explaining of it to me. I can be a bit slow cry once i open a canvas in whatever size, i cant seem to go back and modify the size so i open up a few windows in the different sizes them combine them as layers to the orig one. I seem to have done something that made it work with two of the maps, but cant seem to get it to work with the third map. mad I am so sorry to keep bugging you about this, please bear with me. I am going to blame my slow learning on the fact my kids keep distracting me lol

#204101 - 07/18/09 11:10 PM Re: mod help [Re: littlewindbird]
Lewanda Offline
Legend

I'll pm you Sweetie. Hugs!

#204470 - 07/20/09 06:33 PM Re: mod help [Re: Lewanda]
BayouBlonde Offline
Master

Loc: Louisiana
I replied to your pm this morning and included instructions for GIMP. I'm so sorry I was gone when you needed help. It seems Lewanda and I use completely different methods for aligning them, though. So I hope I haven't confused you. (I replied to all my pm's before I read the forums.)

I actually use a complete map, with guidelines in place where the map divisions are. I mod the "room" I'm working on in a separate (and much smaller) file that has only the room I want (the remainder is transparent and the image is cropped to just the room.) When it's done I "copy visible" to the combined map as a new layer (I never compress the layers as I've always got something else to fix. lol) Once the mods are on the combined map, I just let GIMP split it up into the map sections for the game, using the guidelines at 512x512 pixels.

I hope that makes sense... I agree with Lewanda - I wish I could just sit down beside you and show you!

#204483 - 07/20/09 08:28 PM Re: mod help [Re: BayouBlonde]
bethlham Offline
Guru

Oh BB I am using GIMP also...well, theoretically speaking *giggles*...would you be willing to post the GIMP instructions?

Once I learn the 'lingo' and basics I'm sure I will be able to translate on my own...but until then I would so very much appreciate it! laugh

So far, while trying it on my own I have slaughtered Krystals unicorn...literally, it's two pieces meandering side-by-side...scary (thanks for the help fixing that one Lewanda laugh ) and I can't merge the colonial rooms with the new fountain cry

If it's too much, I understand.

#204496 - 07/20/09 09:39 PM Re: mod help [Re: bethlham]
Lewanda Offline
Legend

Oh, I never merge my layers either BB except to save the jpg maps, and I always save my layers for later use too. I think I told them that in the tutorial I posted.

Bethlham, which rooms are you using and I'll combine them with Lys's fountain? I've already done one with it for my sister and myself. I love it! It's so beautiful in the game.

#204504 - 07/20/09 11:22 PM Re: mod help [Re: Lewanda]
BayouBlonde Offline
Master

Loc: Louisiana
I'm still learning myself, but it sure is fun! I couldn't wait to get back to get started again. hehe

This is what I pm'd to LWB:

Originally Posted By: BayouBlonde
OK, let me start from the beginning so we don't get confused. lol The very first thing I do is put all the maps together into one big map. I use the original map files, with no mods, so I can go back to it later if I need to. It will look exactly like the one in my guide, without the text on it.

This will be your background map and will never change. To create it, first you create a new file with transparent background and with a size of 2048 x 2048. Then, add guides vertically and horizontally at increments of 512. Now, open each map piece and paste it onto your new image in the correct position. The guides should help it "snap" into place if you get close. Anchor them down as you go (you can always undo that with the edit menu if you mess up.) When done, you should have a map like you see in the game, with the guidelines showing you where each map piece is. Save this file as main map, whole map or whatever name you like, in the GIMP format of xcf. Whenever you want to work on the map, just add a layer and paste things onto the layers only. Never change the background.

Now, to make a room mod for the master bedroom (for example) just select that room using the free select tool. I use the walls as my "line" to "cut up" the rooms. It will draw straight lines between points if you click and if you drag it will draw a line following the mouse. Change the tool options so that if you stop a selection, you can "add to" the current selection, by starting again. This way you don't have to "draw" the whole room at once. When you have the flashing dotted line around the room, use Edit ->Copy then Edit -> paste as new image. Now, save the new image in xcf format and you are ready to begin editing it. Make your edits on new layers, so you can refer back to the position of things on the original when you need to. When you are done and have the room the way you want it, use Edit -> Copy Visible then open your whole map file (the one with the guidelines) and create a new layer named "master bedroom mod 1" or something. Paste the new edits onto that layer and zoom in so you can position it just right.

Now you should be looking at the entire map, with your edits on the master bedroom. With the guidelines visible, you can see exactly which maps you need to use to get your new mod into the game. Use the square selection tool and start at one corner of a map piece you need. The guides should make the selection automatically fit the 512 x 512 piece you need. Once again, use Copy Visible, then paste as new image and save the new image as a jpg image to use in the game. Repeat for each map section you need.

I hope that makes sense. I really wish I could just sit down and show it to you. laugh

I just remembered cheesyfries had also uploaded an entire map with most of the furniture deleted. I used this a lot when I first started. Here it is, in case you find it helpful.

You would need to open it with GIMP then use Save As to save it in xcf format for adding layers and working on it.

The remainder is in replies and won't make a lot of sense without seeing the entire convo. heh But, be sure to anchor each map piece down (when positioning the pasted map piece, if you hover outside of the flashing dotted line you'll see the cursor turn into an anchor. Just click it to anchor it onto the background image.) If you don't, each map piece will be pasted as a new layer onto the image. That will give you problems later when you try to copy. Copy copies ONLY what is on the current layer. Copy visible copies what you see on the screen.

Hope that helps!

Edit: Forgot to say one of the things I WISH I had discovered early on is that page up and page down will change the current layer. That saved me a year's worth of going through layers individually. heh Oh and this part from the pm's might be helpful:
When you move your cursor onto the toolbox, the bottom of the screen under the image should tell you which layer you are currently on.

Edited by BayouBlonde (07/20/09 11:28 PM)

#204625 - 07/22/09 02:04 AM Re: mod help [Re: BayouBlonde]
kissy06 Offline
Expert

Loc: Christiansburg VA
Oh, instructions for GIMP! Can you PM me too? I'd love to be able to make some rooms myself. Thanks!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MissKathy, Rockmower 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter